Yesterday, 11/26/2020, representatives of our Association took part in the conference, the title of which reflects the main question that many doctors are now asking: “What about primary prevention of diseases during a pandemic?”
During the conference, Slovak doctors, representatives of the Ministry of Health of Slovakia and researchers from academic institutions, tried to show the most important points of preventive measures during a pandemic.
The event was organized by the employees of the project “Prevention Forum” (https://www.forumprevencie.sk/).
For several years now, this project has united all those who are interested in improving their health and preventing diseases in Slovakia. It also promotes cooperation, mutual exchange of experience in the field of healthy lifestyles and preventive examinations. A representative of this organization Anna Michalková moderated the meeting.
Leading speaker of the conference, representative of the Department of Social and Behavioral Medicine of the Pavel Josef Šafarik University in Kosice and the Slovak Association of Public Health (SAVEZ), PhD. MUDr. Zuzana Katreniaková. She spoke in detail and reasonably about the state of preventive measures in Slovakia (medical examinations, vaccinations and much more).
In the discussion, the following persons took part:
- Employees of the Ministry of Health of Slovakia,
- Representatives of the public health department
- Practicing Slovak doctors (SLOVENSKÁ SPOLOČNOSŤ VŠEOBECNÉHO PRAKTICKÉHO LEKÁRSTVA – SSVPL (SLOVAK SOCIETY OF GENERAL PRACTITIONERS))
- Representatives of public associations of patients in Slovakia
Some of the important points that aroused keen interest of the conference participants were those related to the number of patients who undergo preventive examinations and the quality of medical care. Since due to the pandemic, the number of patients waiting in line in front of the doctor’s office has decreased. Therefore, healthcare professionals are currently optimizing patient appointments and the need for their personal visit to the doctor’s surgery.
- Doctors write prescriptions for medicines everywhere only in electronic form, so that patients do not come personally to a medical institution.
- The number of medical telephone consultations of patients has increased.
- At the conference, the issue of coordination of actions of doctors and scientific medical staff was raised as well, for the solution of which it would be advisable to consider the creation of a profile electronic portal that would allow the exchange of experience and information.
- The need for more active informing of patients about the importance of preventive examinations was discussed by many medical professionals.
- There was also a talk about the need to continue children vaccination in a pandemic and the importance of preventive examinations for people at risk of developing cancer, since oncologists also attended the discussion.
Representatives of our Association appreciated the high level of organization of the conference, as well as the importance and relevance of the information presented.